The regular season is over for those conferences that have a title game (at this point what good does it do Ohio State to play in a title game?) and what a hum dinger it was.
Let's learn what we learned.
- Auburn = Team of DESTINY! Two great finishes in three weeks. Against Mizzou Gus Malzahn will raise someone from the dead and turn a Cheer Wine into Bourbon.
- Ohio State and Florida State are set to play in the national title game because...well...their conferences are bad? If we ever needed Michigan State to Michigan State up a game it's next Saturday.
- While we're at it, the general sentiment seems to be that Jameis Winston is handling all this adversity so well. You know that adversity from the alleged rape he committed. Yep he's a real hero.
- We don't really talk about the Heisman campaign on the Bud because the award is perhaps the most over-hyped thing since Bret Favre's comeback, Kwame Brown, and the 2013 Brooklyn Nets. So...how about 3 fantastic college football players that you may have never heard of who are really good at playing football:
- Aaron Donald of Pitt is a 6'0 defensive tackle who leads the NCAA in Tackles for Loss with 26.5 this season. Seven more than the next guy. Or girl, the Bud ain't sexist. Donald or the Donald as we like to call him also has 10 sacks. He's not tall so the NFL will naturally pass on him cause, you know, production is so overrated.
- Tyler Matakevich, a ginger linebacker from Temple who leads the NCAA in tackles. By a LOT. He's discriminated against because he's a ginger, a human species that will disappear completely by 2050. He's an endangered species people!
- Carlos Wiggins a wide receiver from New Mexico. You're saying, "Hey wait, New Mexico don't throw the football!" They don't. But they do receive a lot of kickoffs and Carlos Wiggins has taken three of those back for touchdowns. He's also getting almost 30 yards a pop when he doesn't score.
- The Pac 12 title game is set: ASU vs. Stanford. Set except that ASU will be without Mario Grice. He's only their best player, no biggie.
- USC lost to UCLA, has Yaw Yaw Yaw done enough to get the job? I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.
- UConn beat Rutgers for their first win of the season and the most American Athletic Conference happening ever.
- Texas put the last nail in Tech's 2012 coffin. We'll always have those first 7 wins Kliff. The Horns now move on to take on Baylor and close down Floyd Casey.
- Wonder of wonders, Texas ran the ball well enough to set up the pass. There's your formula Mack. Use it against the Bears.
- Baylor meanwhile struggled with TCU and were it not for a late interception might have lost two-straight.
- By the way, Art Briles and Gary Patterson dislike each other immensely and the Bud loves that.
- A&M, as the Bud predicted, lost to Mizzou on Saturday night.
- Manziel's A&M career may be over, without the National Title, 2nd Heisman, Medal of Freedom, and Nobel Peace Prize that Aggie fans envisioned in August.
- Houston annihilated SMU, who was playing without Garrett Gilbert, on Friday. The Cougs finish up at 8-4. SMU can still technically qualify for bowl with a win over UCF next week, but I'm not sure the sparse fanbase would bring many takers.
- Rice beat Tulane and will now play Marshall for the C-USA title game. The site is to be determined by the BCS standings. See, those suckers are good for something.
- North Texas clobbered Tulsa, man Tulsa sucked this year. The Mean Green probably end up at the Heart of Dallas Bowl in the...Heart of Dallas.
- UTSA beat Louisiana Tech to finish up 7-5 this year. Gotta say, great season for the Runners.
- We thought the jump in competition would hurt Roadrunners to the tune of 2-3 wins. Raising our hand and admitting we were way off.
- It has to be disconcerting for the UTEP Miners to see their margin of defeat continues to rise. Perhaps these guys haven't bought "in."
- Troy beat Texas State to end the Bobcats season. The Cats went 6-6, again overcoming the Bud's paltry prediction. Bowl possibilities continue to be meager since everyone, EVERYONE seems to have gotten to 6 wins.