Throwback Thursday takes us to Floyd Casey Stadium and the 8th Ranked...EIGHTH RANKED! Baylor Bears from 1991. The Rice Owls came calling with Trevor Cobb, at one time a Heisman Trophy candidate. The Owls would beat the previously unbeaten Bears 20-17.
Get my gun, I need to make some BULLET POINTS.
- Baylor legend Grant Teaff would coach one more season with the Bears and then ride off into the sunset. I seem to remember he was a candidate for the USC job at one point in the 80's. I've also lost my car keys in the last month so...
- Rice was coached by Fred Goldsmith and would go 4-7. After beating Baylor the Owls would ride that momentum to exactly one more win in 1991.
- Trevor Cobb would win the Doak Walker award in '91 and rush the ball 360 times. That's a lot.
- You gotta love the Raycom open with the great Dave Barnett. When the SWC reforms and sets the universe right we'll give Raycom first shot at our media rights deal. Book it.
- Miami won the National Title in 1991. Fun fact, they played number 10 ranked Houston in the 2nd game of 1991 and beat the heck out of the Cougars. My grandmother and I watched the whole game from an assisted living center. She didn't have much patience for the U as I remember.
- Fred Goldsmith was later the coach at Duke. While there Duke was ordered to pay female walk-on kicker, Heather Sue Mercer, $2,000,001 in damages for discriminatory treatment. Her allegations included sexist comments made to her by Coach Goldsmith. I assume they threw that extra buck in as a giant FU to old Fred and his buddies.
- Back in 1991 Bryan Adams was king, enjoy a little Can't Stop This Thing We Started from his number 6 album from October 12, 1991.