Let's go back in time to glorious 1988, North Texas paid a visit to Memorial Stadium in Austin and the Horns "snuck" out with a 27-24 win over the Mean Green. Is use quotes because there is no way in God's green goodness that Keith Cash was in bounds on the catch. Another angel here (49 seconds in) shows the catch from the sideline. It's a miracle Keith Cash didn't land on San Jacinto street. Thems the breaks UNT.
Now, if someone could tell me where I left my BULLETS!
- Prior to '88 North Texas was known as the North Texas State University. Prior to that it was known as North Texas State College. Prior to that it was known as North Texas State Teachers College. Prior to that it was known as North Texas State Normal College. Prior to that it was known as North Texas Normal College. Prior to that it was known as Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute. Anyone else tired?
- The University of Texas hasn't had to change its name plate since 1883.
- 1988 was the last year the Mean Green played baseball, though that all may change here soon.
- Texas went on to go 4-7 in 1988 and were coached by David McWilliams who, in five years, went 31-26. And you thought things were rough this year.
- Notre Dame was your National Champion in 1988 with a spotless 12-0 record. Everyone hated 1988 because of it.
- The Irish beat Miami 31-30 in South Bend in the epic Catholics vs. Convicts game, one of the greatest games of all time. Look it up. No don't, that's totally subjective.
- The game did yield one of the greatest pre-game moments of all time when, after a fight between the teams, Lou Holtz gathered his squad in the locker room and said if after the game there was a fight, his Irish had the green light to go after the 'Canes, "but leave Jimmy Johnson's ass for me." Nothing Lou Holtz has said since has made a lick of sense.
- In 1988 The Wonder Years debuted on ABC. 25 years later Winnie Cooper made out with Avril Lavigne. Not sure how we're supposed to score that development.
- Enjoy Kevin, Wayne, Paul, et al.