Charlie Pallilo - 790, M-F 4-7 pm
This is about the only local show I can listen too, for a number of reasons. Here ya go:
1. He knows what he is talking about. There are so many locals who just talk to hear themselves speak. You start to actually listen, and realize they have no idea what they are saying. Charlie does his homework.
2. Callers - I don't know how he does it, but the guy may be the most patient person on the radio. A caller called in the other day, and was wondering why we don't trade Arian Foster for Demarco Murray, and was serious. I started spewing hundreds of ways why this was a terrible idea. Charlie took the high road. He, didn't call him an idiot, like I did, and started to explain why it was the most terrible idea. I love the way he treats them.
3. He is by himself. I thought this would be annoying, but it works for him. I love that you don't have anyone talking over him. You don't have bickering and griping, and sometimes that is refreshing. He is able to get his thought out there and let callers debate him.
4. He isn't from here, so he doesn't have this unhealthy bias towards Houston Sports. He just talks about what is going on, and doesn't start throwing out irrational points just because he is bored.
The Rush - Jerome Solomon & Dave Tepper, 97.5, 12-2
I don't want to turn this into a bashing session, because they are just doing their job, but they are bad. Tepper is from the Dukes show, which used to be the worst show in the radio. I am not sure what these two are trying to do, but it always seems like they are just trying to be crude. I envision their planning session for each show to go like this:
JS - Hey Dave, what do you want to talk about today?
DT - Not sure. But did you see that nip slip of Kim Kardashian?
JS - I don't think so, let's take a look.
Producer - Guys, you are on in 5, 4, 3, ...
DT - Let's just talk about that for 2 hours.
I know what you are thinking, STOP LISTENING if you don't like it. Well, I try, but sometimes everything else is on commercial and it is the only one around. And sometimes I am a glutton for pain, and I like to see where they are going today.
The Blitz - Fred Faour & AJ Hoffamn, 97.5, The Blitz
I like these guys, I do, but for some reason they strike me as the ugly. Here's why:
1. Their music - They often play Linkin Park, or Nickelback when coming back from, or going to a break. It makes me sad, because these guys are better than those bands. I feel like they are trying to be hip, but just chose the wrong songs. (I know that is a lame reason)
2. Negative - These guys are funny, but man they are negative. It seems like Fred is constantly griping about something an how he just wants to go home for a drink. Some caller today said Alex Smith is the best QB in the NFL. That is a moronic claim, but these guys blasted him, told him to not only stop calling, but stop watching NFL. I kind of want to show up to the studio with some cupcakes and a singing bear and give them a hug.
3. Rant - They will park on a topic and run it into the ground. And there are times when I want them to move on, but they come up with a few more topics to make sure the hemorrhaging horse is actually in fact beaten to death. And then Fred will gripe some more and AJ will point out everything bad about whatever they are talking about. (AJ is an MMA wrestler, and I know he could stomp me into the ground)
Again, I listen to them and I like them, but it is a rough one for me.