As we enjoy Turkey Day 2016, lets go back 41 years to Turkey Day 1975 and the #2 ranked Aggies vs. the #5 ranked Longhorns.
Get me some Turkey Bullets...
- Darrell Royal's 1975 Texas team was just two years removed from 6 straight SWC titles.
- Texas was led by sophomore running back Earl Campbell. Campbell rushed for 1,118 yards in 1975.
- Texas quarterback Marty Atkins was as close to a dual threat as you could get back in 1975, rushing for nearly 500 yards and passing for over 700 yards. Atkins finished 4th in the league in yards from scrimmage in '75.
- Texas' only loss heading into Thanksgiving was to OU back in October.
- Texas went to the Bluebonnet Bowl where they beat Colorado.
- Texas finished 1975 ranked 6th in the Country.
- Meanwhile in College Station for Texas Offensive Coordinator Emory Bellard was leading the Aggies into previously unseen success.
- Bellard brought the wishbone to Texas A&M and his '75 team led by Bubba Bean and George Woodard were undefeated and ranked 2nd in the country heading into the Texas game.
- The Aggies were won win away from playing in the Cotton Bowl and for a possible National Title a week later vs. Arkansas. Arkansas blew the Aggies out in Little Rock and sent the Aggies to the Liberty Bowl and a date with USC.
- Ironically, even though both A&M and Texas were ranked in the top five just a week before the end of the season, neither would win the SWC in 1975, Arkansas went on to win the league and beat Georgia in the Cotton Bowl on New Years day 1976.
Enjoy some Thanksgiving Day Football...