Baylor's six month coaching vacancy looks to be nearing an end as the Bears are currently negotiating with Blake Anderson of Arkansas State. Anderson checks off most of the buttons:
- Anderson is from Hubbard, played at Baylor and Sam Houston State.
- He's coached in the State at Howard Payne and Trinity Valley.
- Anderson is an offensive minded coach.
- He's coached under Larry Fedora at both Southern Miss and North Carolina.
- His Arkansas State teams have gone 20-4 in the Sun Belt and won or shared the title the past two seasons.
- He's not Art Briles.
Anderson's not a bad direction for the Bears after they school kicked the tires on Chad Morris, Mike MacIntyre, and Jeff Brohm. The Bears may or may not have looked into Sonny Dykes and were rumored to but probably didn't look at Mike Gundy as candidate.
Arkansas State has become the cradle of coaches, sending Hugh Freeze to Ole Miss, Gus Malzahn to Auburn and Bryan Harsin to Boise.
Anderson appears to be a good dude, who provides a snack closet for his coaches and GAs. Including pop tarts.