In anticipation of Josh Rosen and the Bruins showing up to College Station we go back to 1998 and the last UCLA/Aggie Clash at the Cotton Bow - the Original at the Fairgrounds, not the one in Arlington where Tony Romo's back is on display. Cade McNown and Dat Nguyen. Bob Toledo and RC Slocum. Not everything about the 90's sucked.
Give me some COTTON BULLETS!
- First of all, Craig James is on the studio show for CBS, remember Craig James? He was part of the Pony Express at SMU and had a brief NFL career. He was on a Kirk Herbstreit like trajectory then the wheels fell off, he ran for senate and got 3.9% of the vote, his kid got locked in a storage closet - allegedly. Fun times.
- UCLA's Cade McNown fooled the Chicago Bears into taking him at 12 overall in the 1999 NFL draft. Spoiler alert, it didn't work out. McNown started 15 games for da Bears over two seasons and threw 19 picks.
- But hey, McNown was a heck of a college quarterback, a four year starter for the Bruins who led them to a Rose Bowl.
- UCLA's head coach, Bob Toledo actually served as the OC for RC Slocum early in Slocum's head coaching career. Toledo went 64-72 as the head coach at UCLA and Tulane.
- Toledo's first three years at UCLA were his high watermark as a head coach. The Bruins went 25-10 and made the Cotton and the Rose Bowl. The 1999 Rose Bowl was UCLA's last trip to the Grandaddy of them All.
- Toledo's 1997 Bruins lost their first two games and then rattled off 10 straight to end the season. Washington State and that psychopath Ryan Leaf beat UCLA to start the season and won the PAC 12 by virtue of that win.
- Texas A&M went 9-4 in 1998, winning the Big 12 South only to lose in the Big 12 title game to the bulldozer that was Nebraska 54-15.
- The Aggies beat John Blake's Oklahoma team 51-7 and then beat Texas to end the conference schedule.
- Brandon Stewart started for the Aggies, he's famous for being the guy that Tennessee recruited along with one Peyton Manning. Stewart saw the writing on the wall pretty soon after arriving on campus and got out of dodge.
- Manning went on to what some would call a decent career, but he never beat Florida and it's required by Florida's State Constitution that anyone from Florida remind you of that fact.
- Future Miami Dolphins coach Dan Campbell played on the A&M team, he'd later go on to a pro career with the Giants, Cowboys, Lions and Saints. He also bears a striking resemblance to South Park's PC Principal.
Limit your micro aggressions and catch the Bruins and the Aggies before the Bruins and the Aggies play.