The Miners are 1-0 after taking the Shovel and Spittoon for the eighth straight year from New Mexico State, winning 38-22 at the Sun Bowl. That's a record for consecutive victories in the series. UTEP led 24-3 at the half and never looked back.
A few quick thoughts:
- Welcome back Aaron Jones. A year after an ACL injury, Jones roared back with 266 yards on 31 carries at eight yards a carry. Jones also broke free for a 75 yard touchdown to seal the victory for the Miners.
- Jones was part of a pounding ground attack that compiled 344 rushing yards.
- Jones also added 43 receiving yards.
- Zack Greenlee had a successful start to 2016 going 15-27 for 229 yards with 2 touchdowns and one sack.
- The Miners rushed for 5.6 yards a carry and the offensive line looked dominant. In pass protection the Miners allowed one sack and just five hits on the quarterback.
- Alvin Jones played a very Alvin Jones type game with 12 stops including a tackle for a loss.
- New Mexico State is, well, New Mexico State, but this is still a big game and a big win. Aaron Jones performance gives the Miners a lot of hope. So did Greenlee's effort. Now comes a huge test in Austin agains the suddenly relevant Longhorns.