Red River Week Throwback to a #1 vs. #2 Matchup between the Horns and Sooners in the rain soaked Cotton Bowl.
A few bullets!
- Spoiler alert, this game ended in a tie. The world moved on, the sun rose.
- Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer was putting together one of his most talented rosters with Brian Bosworth, Tony Casillas, Keith Jackson, and Troy Aikman. Yes, the Hall of Famer started his career in Norman before transferring to UCLA.
- The Sooners inexplicably lost to Kansas before losing in the Orange Bowl to Washington.
- Oklahoma played two number 1 ranked teams in 1984, tying Texas and beating Nebraska. They also beat 3rd ranked Oklahoma State and 4th ranked Washington.
- Fred Akers Texas squad was ranked No. 1 until the Oklahoma tie. They fell apart down the stretch, losing four of their last five.
- Former North Texas coach Todd Dodge quarterbacked the Longhorns against the Sooners.
- The game wasn't without controversy, Keith Stansbury appeared to intercept a Todd Dodge pass in the end zone, but the pick was ruled incomplete (no replay). And the Horns went on to kick the tying field goal.
- Switzer had several gripes the game-winning drive including an apparent fumble that was ruled a dead ball, a controversial pass interference call, and the interception.
- Texas led 10-0 at halftime, but the Sooners fought back to take the lead into the fourth quarter.
- The astroturf at the Cotton Bowl turned into a skating rink as the water soaked the playing surface.
- After the game, Switzer steamed "I can't get a call. All the calls made against us there at the last were made by Southwest Conference officials."