Throwback Thursday goes way back to 1984, and a matchup between two top fifteen teams as #10 Texas traveled to #12 TCU. Enjoy a little Wacker-Backer vs. Fast Freddy Akers.
To the Bullets!
- The game was the first sellout at TCU since 1955, and the largest crowd for a home game in Fort Worth.
- Texas quarterback was Todd Dodge, now the coach at Austin Westlake, formerly the head coach North Texas and Southlake Carroll.
- Texas started the season ranked 6th, but rose to number one for two weeks in October.
- The Horns finished 7-4-1 and faltered down the stretch, losing three of their last four.
- TCU ran the split back veer, an offense that served Wacker well as head coach and Texas Lutheran and SWT. Wacker won national titles at both those stops.
- TCU's eight wins in 1984 were their most since 1959.
- TCU entered the game 8-1 but lost their final three games including the Bluebonnet Bowl to West Virginia.
- The Horned Frogs averaged 31 points a game, the most in school history at the time.
Enjoy a little rainy SWC action.
Thanks to Stephen Barnet's youtube channel for keeping this one alive and kicking.