The iconic Liberty Bowl in Memphis hosted a pretty good matchup between LSU and Baylor to end the 1985 season. Grant Teaff vs. Bill Arnsparger and the old SWC vs the SEC presented by Raycom.
Give me some LIBERTY BULLETS!
- LSU was coached by the aforementioned Bill Arnsparger who had his Tigers rolling heading to Memphis. The 12th ranked Tigers were 9-1-1 with the only loss coming at the hands of Florida.
- Arnsparger was a defensive genius who coached with Don Shula and the Dolphins during their heyday, winning the '72 Super Bowl and going undefeated in doing so.
- Arnsparger only coached three seasons in Baton Rouge, winning the SEC once and going 13-3-2 in league. Two of Arnsparger's three teams would play in the Sugar Bowl. For all his success, Arnsparger was 0-3 in bowl games.
- The Great Dalton Hilliard led the Tiger rushing attack. He rushed for over 4,000 yards for his career. He was drafted by the Saints in the 2nd Round of the NFL draft.
- Grant Teaff's Baylor team was an end of season loss to Texas from a Cotton Bowl birth.
- Baylor ran a two quarterback system with Tom Muecke and Commander Cody Carlson splitting time 50/50.
- Mueke would go on to a career in the CFL, Carlson played for the Luv Ya Blue Houston Oilers post Baylor.
- Teaff would coach 21 years for the Bears and is the career leader in wins with 239. Teaff's Baylor teams won the SWC twice, in 1974 and 1980.
- Baylor's defense was led by dudes like Thomas Everett and Ron Francis. The Bears allowed 20 points or more just twice in 1985.
Enjoy the 1985 Liberty Bowl.