It's not enough to have a great weight room or locker room anymore. Even well manicured practice fields aren't enough. Now the kids all want an indoor space for practice. Heck, 144 Texas high schools have indoor facilities. So, in spite of our mild summers here in Texas and to keep up with your local high school, you need an indoor practice facility. We talkin' about practice.
Jay and Jenny Allison Indoor Football Practice Facility
Completed in 2009
- Energy efficient building, receiving an LEED Silver Certification.
- 80 yard practice field.
- 73,000 square feet.
- 57 foot roof height.
- $14 Million price tag.
Yet to be Named Indoor Facility
Coming in the Fall of 2017
- 80,000 square foot facilty
- 120 yard practice field
- Football only facility.
- $20 Million price tag.
Indoor Practice Center
Sixteen month construction timetable.
- $50 Million price tag
- Will include a full football field and running track.
- Plan also includes an outdoor practice field adjacent.
- Facility will serve all seventeen on-campus sports.
The Indoor Practice Facility aka "The Bubble"
Completed in 2002
- Three-layer outer bubble, which is inflated by a compressor. There also is a gas-based backup system that continually blows air in event of an extended power outage.
- 61 foot roof height.
- 70,000 square feet.
- $4 Million price tag.
Sammy Baugh Indoor Practice Facility
Completed in 2007
- Translucent wall panels increase the natural light inside, and a large storage area large equipment.
- 80,000 square feet.
- 80 yard field.
- 60 foot roof height.
- $7 Million price tag.
McFerrin Athletic Center
Completed in 2007
- 75,000 square feet.
- 80 foot roof height.
- Sits next to the 115,000 square foot indoor track facility.
- Same design as the Dallas Cowboys' indoor facility that collapsed. A&M's version was subsequently reinforced.
- $35 Million price tag for both practice facility and indoor track facility.
Sports Performance Center
Coming in the fall of 2017
- Plan includes both an indoor practice field and an indoor track facility, side by side.
- Will also house a strength and conditioning center and nutrition center.
- Tech's old indoor facility, known as the bubble, collapsed in early 2016.
- The new facility construction caught on fire last week. Technically it's lit.
- $48 Million price tag.
Possible Future Indoor Facilities
North Texas put in a proposal for an indoor facility last fall. The project estimates come in at a $15 to $25 million dollar price tag and would include an 120 yard indoor practice field. New AD Wren Baker is currently looking for funding for the project.