The Cougars updated their roster in anticipation of the 2017 season. There were a couple changes of note:
- Defensive End/Linebacker D.J. Jenkins retired from football due to medical issues. Jenkins redshirted in 2015, his first season at Houston. The Huntsville native then missed the entire 2016 season due to injury. Jenkins came to Houston as a middle linebacker but switched to defensive end during his first season.
- Kobe Idumwonyi was cleared to return to action after missing 2016 with an injury. Idumwonyi is a sophomore from Cedar Hill. In April Chron.com reported that Idumwonyi had retired due to concussion related symptoms.
- Texas A&M transfer Reggie Chevis will wear #3 this season.
- Ellis Jefferson, the transfer from Arizona State will take over Chance Allen's #21.
- True freshman Elijah Gooden is listed as a linebacker. Gooden was a two-way star at Boling and the 95 rated running back nationally during the 2017 recruiting cycle.
- Auburn grad transfer Deon Mix will wear #75.
More on the Cougars...