The Rice Owls open camp Monday (Thank God) in preparation for their trip down under to take on Stanford August 26. The Owls, according to coach David Bailiff, have changed "everything" from last season to now including a few tweeks to their roster.
Here's what we noticed:
- Junior Jorian Clark is list at safety, in 2016 he was a corner.
- Several Owls will be playing at lighter weight from last season, the biggest mover is sophomore squadman Jospeh Dill who dropped 20 pounds to a svelte 330.
- Linebacker D.J. Green dropped fifteen pounds from 235 to his current 220.
- Graysen Schantz is down ten pounds as well from 240 to 230.
- Tight End Robby Wells is down ten pounds from 270 to 260.
- Nashon Ellerbe makes the move from receiver to running back in 2017. Ellerbe caught three passes in 2016.
- Former defensive tackle Paine Matiscik is moving to offense in 2017. He played defensive tackle in 2016, he'll play fullback in 2017.
- Defensive tackle Carl Thompson is up in weight from 280 to 310.
- Redshirt freshman defensive end JaVante Hubbard moved up a weight class from 230 to 245.
- Receiver James Mayden is no longer listed on the Owl roster.
- Neither is offensive lineman Isaiah Edwards.
- As far as number changes, twins Aston and Austin Walter will now wear numbers 1 and 2 respectively.
- Kylen Granson bumps from jersey #19 to #18.
- Linebacker Dylan James moves from #99 to #42.
- Fellow linebacker Anthony Ekpe moves from #38 to #33.