With no football to speak of, we're here to help and get you through the offseason with a little throwback Thursday and the Bill Yeoman Cougars vs. the Pony Express.
Let's get to the Bullets:
- Bill Yeoman's 1982 Cougars were so net neutral with an entirely fair and balanced 5-5-1 record.
- Yeoman entered his 20th year at the helm of the Houston in 1982.
- His renaissance reached its apex in the late 70's when the Cougars went to three of four Cotton Bowls and unseated blue bloods Texas and Arkansas from the league crown.
- Houston finished fourth in the final AP poll in 1976 and fifth in 1979.
- By 1982, the Yeoman Coogs were starting to decline, but Houston rebounded in 1984 with their last SWC title and Cotton Bowl appearance.
- Lionel Wilson led the 1982 Cougars in passing while Dallas Wiggins and Dwayne Love each ran for over 800 yards in Yeoman's veer.
- Houston opened with Howard Schnellenberger's Miami program on the road. The Canes were a year away from winning a seminal national title and becoming the "U."
- Bobby Collins SMU team finished the season 11-0-1 and should have won the national title, but the system was rigged against SMU and generally all awesome things.
- Eric Dickerson, Craig James, and Lance McIlhenny were at the peak of their powers.
- Dickerson averaged seven points a game and scored seventeen times.
- The Mustangs finished second in the final AP poll, edged out by 11-1 Penn State and east coast bias. SMU edged Texas for the SWC crown after an epic game in Austin.
- A 17-17 tie against Arkansas cost SMU a national title somehow, even though they were the only undefeated team in Division IA.
- Three SWC schools finished in the final AP top 25: SMU (2), Arkansas (9), and Texas (17).
Enjoy the 1982 Houston vs. SMU from Cowboy Stadium. Thanks to Tim Bliss for keeping these games alive on Youtube.